Sunday, August 18, 2013

My Very First Day Out at the Greyhound Track!

Today, I got a great chance to show off just how great a runner I am! Amy and her mum got me up bright and early this morning, and we went on a long car ride to Emerly Park Greyhound Track, in Two Wells. It was the first time we'd been out that way, and I enjoyed the country scenery on the way there- we even saw some really funny-looking-long-neckedy animals called alpacas. When we arrived at the greyhound track, I met two new acquaintances, Sony the Afghan Hound and Woody the Bassett Hound, and we were soon joined by two of my Saluki friends, Saffie and Layla. I'd never chased the lure around the track before, so I watched Saffie and Layla, and Sony and Woody go around before I gave it a go myself. When Saffie and Layla ran I was so desperate to run after them, they looked so much more fun to chase than the lure! The two other Salukis were let go first, so I could follow on behind, and then I was let loose, ready to run. At first, I wasn't sure if I was actually allowed to run off, but I soon got the hang of it and raced after Saffie and Layla. They had a big head start, but being the genius that I am, I had a cunning plan to catch them. While they ran the long way, I leaped over the barrier and ran through the grassy field in the middle of the track. My cunning plan worked- I caught them! I am just such a rebel. :)

  Bella takes a shortcut! Here I am, taking to the fields in my cunning shortcut.

 The second time I ran around the track with Saffie and Layla, they had less of a head start and I was hot on their heels the whole way around. Near the end, I even caught up with Layla! I finished up my spectacular performance by jumping clear over the barrier around the track- luckily I was a good girl and went to Amy as soon as she called me, rather than running off. Sometimes I amaze myself with my own athleticism and style!

  The running of the Salukis The great Saluki race!

The running of the Salukis


Bella
Gracefully passing spectators.

Bella


Salukis in action! Catching up fast!


Salukis in action!


Saluki race

All that fun and excitement was pretty exhausting, and I've been snoozing for most of the afternoon. I had a GREAT time, and am looking forward to going for another run on the track sometime. Next time I might even be able to catch Saffie!

1 comment: